Tanzania constitution has undergone several major changes since 1961 as follows:
- The independence constitution of 1961.
It was made by the British colonialist. It was used when Tanganyika got her independence and when Mwl. Nyerere was a prime minister.
- The Republican constitution.
It was made by the constitution Assembly when Tanganyika proposing to make the country a republic Mwl. Nyerere was elected to be first president of the republic of Tanganyika.
- The interim constitution of the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar of 196
It was made by president of Tanzania after the union of Tanganyika and Zanzibar.
- The interior constitution of Tanzania 1965.
It was made by the parliament of the United Republic of Tanzania. This constitution declared Tanzania a single party state where by TANU of Tanzania mainland and ASP of Zanzibar where the only political parties recognized by the constitution.
- The constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania of 1977.
It was made by constitution Assembly (BUNGE) when Tanu and ASP to form Chama cha Mapinduzi ( CCM).