Tanganyika got her independence from the Britain on 9th December 1961. Mwalimu Julius kambarage nyerere became the prime minister in 1962, Tanganyika became a republic and mwalimu Julius was elected president.
On 12th January 1964 a revolution was staged in Zanzibar and Sheikh Abeid Amani Karume became president. Then on 22nd April 1964, mwalimu Julius Nyerere and sheikh karume signed a government to unite these countries. The national assembly approved the agreement to unite Tanganyika and Zanzibar on 25th April 1964. On 26th April 1964 Tanganyika and Zanzibar united to form the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Common historical back ground
The people of Tanganyika and Zanzibar were colonized by the British. Tanganyika was ruled by the British from 1919 until 1961.The British ruled Zanzibar through a sultan until 10th December 1963.
- Common language
Kiswahili is the medium of communication in both Tanganyika and Zanzibar. This language helped the leader and their people to meet and discuss the unification of the states.
- Similar political objectives.
After independent of these two sovereign states their government thought to introduce socialism. This was because the leaders realized that the independence obtained did not benefit the majority because all major means of production were in the hands of the few people. Socialism is the economic system whereby all major means of production are owned by the public.
- Enhancing African unity.
When African countries began getting their independent there were calls to unite the countries .as a result the countries have formed unions such as the east African community. The union of Tanganyika and Zanzibar and also helped towards this goal.
- It defends the sovereignty, territorial integrity and independent of its citizen 2. The union accelerates the political and social economic development
- The union promotes peace, security and stability of the country.
- Through the union democratic principles are promoted.
- It promotes and protects human rights
- The union promotes and defends common positions on issues of interest of Tanzanians.
- The union advances the development of the country.
Some of the union achievements are:
- The union has remained strong from 1964 to present 2. A uniform currency is used in both mainland and Zanzibar.
- Economic integrations is greater between the two partners.
- There is greater social interaction.
- There is peace and prosperity in the country.
The following are the affairs placed under the union government.
- External affair interaction with other countries
- Defense and security.
- The police force
- Power to declare a state of emergency
- Industrial licensing
- Higher education
- Aviation and air transport
- External and borrowing
- The court of appeal of the united republic
- Income tax, customs and excise duties
- Financial matters legal traders and currency
- Harbors air transport ports and telegraphs
- The public services of the united republic
- The constitution of the united republic if Tanzania
- Mineral resources including petroleum and natural gas
- Registration of political parties and other matters related to political parties
- The national examination council and all matters relating to the council
- Free movement of people from Zanzibar to Tanzania, mainland and vice versa without passports.
- The establishment of the ministry in the president’s office to deal with union affairs.
- Encouraging trade between the people of Zanzibar and Tanzania mainland.
- Leaders of both sides of the union meet and discuss different issues regarding the central government.