There are various ways or methods/ tactics employed/ used by colonialist to impose/ establish colonial rule in Africa are as follows;
1. Diplomacy method [signing of treaties]
2. The use of force [military conquest] violence.
3. Alliance or collaboration
4. Administrative technique e.gDirect rule, indirect rule and Assimilation.
5. Ideological methods e.g Introduction of Western Education, Western civilization racism and introduction of Christianity.
6. The use of infrastructures and communication Media.
7. Economic technique e.g Destruction of Industries, this was done by importing ready manufactured goods from abroad e.g clothes, beards, wine.
The techniques/tactics / methods or ways mentioned above were applied or used in imposing/establishing colonialism because; the colonialist find some difficulties since Africans were not ready to be colonized therefore they applied these tactics as follows;
1.11.1. THE DIPLOMACY METHOD [THE SIGNING OF TREATIES
This method was the method of signing bogus treaties done by colonialist with African local rulers which cheated Africans to accept colonial control.
African local leaders signed those treaties without understanding their meaning because they did not know how to read and write. After signing the treaties African local leaders would find their areas colonized. For example; Karl Peters signed many treaties with chief Mangungo of Msovero, Kilosa, Usangara and Uluguru. Stanley signed treaties with king Lobengula of Ndebele [Zimbabwe]The treaties signed by colonialist with African rules were called bogus treaties because
1.11.2. MILITARY CONQUEST/USE OF FORCE
Military conquest was a method/ way of imposing /establishing colonial rule where by colonialist used military force such as army, soldiers, police etc to force Africans to accept colonial rule when the diplomacy method/way failed.
For example Germany used force / violence/ military conquest to force Mkwawa of the Hehe to accept colonial control in his territory.
1.11.3. ALLIANCE OR COLLABORATION
This was another technique/ way or method of imposing/establishing colonial rule where by colonialists united or cooperated with some societies which had enmity by supporting one side to defeat the other then colonize all together.